ALL SKILL LEVELS WELCOME
I am excited to announce that the second staging of our Adult African Art series, will officially start on Sunday, March 20th, 2022, 4PM GMT – on the Spring Equinox – New Beginnings.
What you can expect from this course:
- To learn about the History, Culture and Tradition connected to each African Art form presented throughout the course
- Exposure to simple yet satisfying drawing, painting and sculpting techniques
- Freedom to create through inspiration
- A safe, judgement free space to explore your creativity
Course Topics Summary:
PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN
- Balance – Islamic Geometric Design – North Africa
- Contrast – Haitian Silhouette Sculptures – Haiti
- Emphasis – Painting and Drawing Techniques – Across Africa and the Diaspora
- Movement – Abstract Figure Drawings – The Caribbean
- Pattern – Bogolanfini (Mud Cloth) – Mali
- Rhythm – Visual Art and Music Fusion – Across Africa and the Diaspora
- Unity – Tapa Cloths of Fiji – (African people, since pre-historic times have travelled the globe, we will use this class to acknowledge this fact and honour our travelling ancestors)
Each course participant will be invited to join our African Art Studies Discord community, where we will share helpful tips and resources, continue discussions and share in-progress and completed works.
For those new to Discord, in summary it is an app that can be downloaded for free on your computer and/or mobile device and it functions similar to a Zoom + WhatsApp experience (where we can host video calls, share screen, direct message and share posts with each other etc. PRIVATELY).
Looking forward to connecting and creating with you.
ARTWORK: Titled 'Ori-Djinn' by me, Asha Anekywa,
Available in the Anekywa Art Collection.